Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


November 17, 2016
Big Green men move on in NCAA tournament

HANOVER, N.H. -- Matt Danilack’s 104th-minute goal gave Dartmouth a 1-0 extra time win over St. Francis Brooklyn in the first round of the NCAA Men’s Championship at Burnham Field Thursday night.

Dartmouth (9-4-5) won its fourth successive game and will visit No. 8-ranked Syracuse at 2 p.m. Sunday, a rematch of last year’s second-round matchup, the Orange winning, 2-1.

“Obviously we’re ecstatic to be able to move on,” Dartmouth coach Chad Riley said. “Credit to St. Francis Brooklyn. We always knew it was going to be a tough game. I thought they played very well and they were very organized. I’m very proud of our guys. I think first round NCAA games are never easy and I’m proud of the way they stuck to the plan and kept pushing until we got our break in the second overtime.

“Ideally, the best defense is to posses the ball and attack the other team, but when you’re doing that you have to be organized so you don’t let them develop their attacks. Ricardo Gomez and Wyatt Omsberg really helped us stay organized when we were on the attack and that really helped keep it away from our own goal for a large portion of the game.”

The Big Green dictated the pace of play for most of the match against the Terriers (12-5-3), who had not surrendered a goal in 980 minutes of play, dating to Sept. 28.

Danilack netted off a cross from Alexander Marsh, firing a low shot into the lower right corner of the goal from the top of the penalty area, leading to a celebration that included the fans.

“It was definitely a relief,” Danilack said. “We had a lot of chances and we knew they were a good defensive team coming in so we knew to stay patient.”

The Big Green outshot the Terriers, 13-5, senior James Hickok (one save) earning his seventh shutout of the season.

“I try to do my best and be on my toes and be ready for a shot at any time, especially when they are trying to get any chance that they can get,” Hickok said. “I thought we had the majority of the chances and it’s always a relief to get a goal. As soon as that cross came in, I knew it was going to go in.”

Dartmouth pressured Seth Erdman, who made three saves in the first half. In the 81st minute, Erdman made a spectacular stop on Matt Greer. In the 88th minute, the Terriers’ Salvatore Barone missed an open net.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved