Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


June 18, 2016
Quakes pull out dramatic draw with Orlando City; Rapids extend Chicago's record winless streak

Andrea Pirlo's first MLS goal was the game-winner as New York City FC held off the Philadelphia Union 3-2 Saturday at Yankee Stadium.
Andrea Pirlo's first MLS goal was the game-winner as New York City FC held off the Philadelphia Union 3-2 Saturday at Yankee Stadium.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
BRONX, NY--Frank Lampard, David Villa and Andrea Pirlo each scored and New York City FC defeated the Philadelphia Union, 3-2, Saturday afternoon at Yankee Stadium.

NYC FC improved to 5-5-6 (21 points) and snapped a four-match (0-2-2) winless skid.

Roland Alberg scored and the Union added an own goal but had their franchise-tying eight-match unbeaten streak (3-0-5) snapped. The Union (6-4-5, 23 points) still remain in first place in the Eastern Conference.

In the eighth minute, the 37-year-old Lampard took advantage of a loose ball and buried the shot past Andre Blake for a 1-0 NYCFC advantage.

Villa scored his 11th goal of the season for a 2-0 lead. Jack Harrison used his speed on a runout and eventually left a nifty back heel pass for Villa in the box.

NYCFC went up 3-0 in the 50th minute as Pirlo scored on a free kick. Villa faked a runup and Pirlo scored with a tough shot into the corner of the net.

It’s the first time this season that the Union have conceded three goals in a match.

The Union bounced back after Jason Hernandez bowled over Fabian Herbers in the box, drawing a penalty call. Alberg stepped in and converted the PK in the 54th minute, cutting the deficit to 3-1.

Hernandez received a second yellow card in the 85th minute and was sent off, leaving NYCFC a man down the rest of the match. The Union closed the gap to 3-2 three minutes later when they benefitted from an own goal. Following a corner kick by Tranquillo Barnetta, the ball deflected off Frederic Brillant and past Saunders.
Full story from Big Apple Soccer
Full story from Philly Soccer News


ORLANDO--The subs were the story as Orlando City SC and the San Jose Earthquakes battled to a dramatic 2-2 draw Saturday in front of 37,193 at Camping World Stadium.

Julio Baptista came off the bench to score in the 90th minute and give the Lions a 2-1 advantage, but fellow substitute Shea Salinas gave the Quakes a share of the points with a clutch strike in the fourth minute of stoppage time

The match was scoreless until well into the second half, before defender Seb Hines headed home Orlando City's first goal in the 65th minute. Another substitute, Chad Barrett, leveled the score 1-1 in the 84th.

The result leaves the Lions at 3-3-8 and 17 points, while San Jose improve to 4-4-6 (21).

Neither team put a shot on goal before the intermission, but things became more dangerous on both sides in the second stanza. Seb Hines broke the ice for Orlando off a corner kick in the 65th minute. Seconds after forcing netminder David Bingham to parry a looping set-piece header over the bar, Hines soared over Anibal Godoy to reach Adrian Winter's corner service and deposit the ball into the left side of the net.

A batch of 77th-minute substitutions heralded strategic adjustments on both sides. Lions coach Adrian Heath pulled lone striker Cyle Larin in favor of sturdy Italian midfielder Antonio Nocerino, while his San Jose counterpart, Dominic Kinnear, replaced midfielder Fatai Alashe with DP forward Innocent and defender Shaun Francis with forward Barrett. San Jose got the better of the changes.

In the 84th minute, Salinas, who entered the match in the 62nd minute, sent a chip over Brek Shea and to the top of the six-yard box where the completely unguarded Barrett easily dropped a header past 'keeper Joe Bendik into the lower right corner.

Luck remained with the Lions for a while longer. Baptista delivered the 90th-minute winner with style, juggling a left-side cross from Carlos Rivas and side-volleying a sharp shot off Bingham's hands and into the net.

But Salinas spoiled the celebration on the final play of the game, getting a foot on the ball just ahead of Carrasco and slamming a shot past Bendik to level the score a final time.
Full story from Sunshine Soccer News

TORONTO---A diving header by Drew Moor in the 76th minute allowed Toronto FC to slip past the Los Angeles Galaxy 1-0 Saturday night at BMO Field.

Despite a cobbled-together lineup that didn't include two of their best offensive threats, Robbie Keane, who is with Ireland at the Euros and Gyasi Zardes who is with the U.S. at Copa America, or the injured Steven Gerrard and Giovani dos Santos, the Galaxy kept things even until the 76th minute. Toronto's Eriq Zavaleta got in front of his defender, and flicked a header toward the right post. Moor got past Ashley Cole, and made a diving header to put the ball into the net.

Sebastian Lletget had the Galaxy's best chances, missing on an open shot in the 20th minute, forcing netminder Clint Irwin to stop long shots in the 28th and 48th minutes.

With the loss, the Galaxy, who have not scored in their last two league games, fall to 5-3-6, 21 pts, while Toronto improves to 5-5-4, 19 pts.
Full story from LA Soccer News

COLUMBUS, Ohio--Columbus Crew SC and the Montreal Impact combined for 20 shots and no goals in Saturday's 0-0 tie at MAPFRE Stadium.

Only one of Crew SC's 12 attempts reached netminder Evan Bush, who dove to parry away Justin Meram's hard 16-yarder in the 21st minute.

Columbus goalkeeper Steve Clark made three straightforward saves, starting with the pickup on a hopeful 30-yarder from Johan Venegas seconds into the match.

The result moved Montreal (5-4-5, 20 pts) into second place in the MLS East, and leaves Columbus near the bottom of the conference at 3-5-6 (15).

VANCOUVER--Kelyn Rowe broke a 1-1 deadlock with a brilliant strike early in the second half and the New England Revolution were able to hang on for a hard-earned 2-1 road victory over Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place Saturday.

London Woodberry notched his first MLS goal to open the scoring off Lee Nguyen’s team-leading sixth assist, but Nicolas Mezquida drew the Whitecaps (6-7-3, 21 points) level later in the first half with a perfectly executed free kick.

Rowe’s 55th minute half-volley off a Teal Bunbury cross gave the lead back to the Revs, but the visitors needed an eleven-man effort and desperate defending to hold off a furious Vancouver response for the remaining forty minutes.

Woodberry opened the Revs scoring in the 31st minute. After Kei Kamara won a foul on Vancouver defender Tim Parker, Nguyen delivered a free kick from deep on the right and Woodberry split a pair of ‘Caps to slam a header inside the left post beyond the reach of ‘keeper David Ousted.

Ten minutes later a Woodberry handball five yards outside the penalty area drew a caution from referee Ismail Elfath and gave the home side the opportunity to draw even. Mezquida stepped up and curled a dipping free kick over the Revolution wall and into the left upper corner of the net for the Uruguayan midfielder’s first goal of the campaign.

Ten minutes into the second frame, Rowe gave the lead back to the Revs with a brilliant half-volley. After Kobayashi won a 50-50 ball from Russell Teibert on the right wing, Teal Bunbury crossed low and hard across the top of the eighteen where Rowe redirected with a blistering drive inside the right post for his third goal of the season.
Full story from New England Soccer News

COMMERCE CITY, Colo.--Goals by Kevin Doyle and Marco Pappa kept the Colorado Rapids on top of the Western Conference and MLS tables with a 2-1 win over the Chicago Fire Saturday at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

Joey Calistri scored his first professional goal for the Fire (2-6-5, 11 pts), whose league-record road winless streak stretches to 31 games.

The match was scoreless until the 57th minute. Rapids midfielder Dillon Powers stole the ball from Joao Meira and quickly found Doyle, who got space on his defenders and sent a shot across Johnson's body and slipped under his arm on its way into the net.

The Fire clawed their way back in the 81st minute. David Accam sent a long cross to the far post that found right back Rodrigo Ramos. Ramos got on the end of it, heading it back to the middle of the box for Calistri, who collected the ball, evaded a defender, and sent his left footed shot past MacMath to level the score.

Chicago's good feeling was short lived, however. Campbell deflected Marco Pappa's 89th-minute shot past Johnson to give Colorado the win in the late going.
Full story from Chicagoland Soccer News

HOUSTON--Bill Hamid made two brilliant saves in stoppage time to preserve a shutout as DC United played the Houston Dynamo to a 0-0 tie in a weather delayed game at BBVA Compass Stadium Saturday night.

United (4-6-5, 17 pts), has not scored a goal in 525 minutes of MLS action, while the Dynamo (3-7-5, 14 pts) are still looking for their first league win under interim coach Wade Barrett.

Hamid preserved the shutout and the tie with back to back saves in the 93rd minute, diving to make a one handed stop of a shot by Mauro Manotas, pushing the ball out of play. On the ensuing corner kick, Boniek Garcia served a perfect ball into the area that Raul Rodriguez headed down, a shot that the DC 'keeper blocked with his leg. The Dynamo got off one more shot, but David Horst sent his attempt high just before referee Allen Chapman blew his whistle to signal the end of the game.

Hamid was credited with four saves in the game, but the two in the final minute were the most dangerous of the night for either team.
The first shot on goal from either team came in the 52nd minute, when Bobby Boswell's header off a free kick was saved by Dynamo goalkeeper Tyler Deric. The Houston goalkeeper also stopped an attempt from Lamar Neagle in the 65th minute.
Full story from DC Soccer News

SANDY, Utah--Yura Movsisyan converted a penalty kick in the 70th minute to lift Real Salt Lake into a 2-2 tie with the Portland Timbers Saturday on the newly-resodded field at Rio Tinto Stadium.

Juan Manuel Martinez scored his third goal in four league games to put RSL on the board in the 17th minute. "Burrito" outleaped defender Zarek Valentin at the far post to head Javier Morales' left-side corner kick into the net.

Fanendo Adi knotted the score 1-1 in the 29th, after a turnover near midfield. Adi beat his defender to the top of the box and nutmegged advancing goalkeeper Nick Rimando for his ninth goal of the season.

Lucas Melano sent the Timbers into the intermission with a 2-1 lead, burying the rebound after Diego Valeri's shot hit the right post.

Movsisyan scored from the spot after being fouled by Jermaine Taylor.

RSL remain third in the MLS West at 7-4-3 and 24 points. Portland are seventh on the table at 5-6-5 (20).

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved