Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


June 25, 2016
Controversial start, dramatic finish for busy Saturday

Lamar Neagle had a goal and an assist to lead DC United past New England 2-0 Saturday at RFK Stadium.
Lamar Neagle had a goal and an assist to lead DC United past New England 2-0 Saturday at RFK Stadium.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
SEATTLE--Frank Lampard scored early and Ronald Matarrita added a late insurance goal as New York City FC blanked Seattle Sounders FC 2-0 Saturday afternoon at CenturyLink Field.

Lampard got the match off to a controversial start, chesting the game-winner home off a corner kick in the 38th minute amid howled accusations from the Sounders that he had handled the ball before taking the shot.

Matarrita gave NYC (5-5-6, 24 pts) some breathing room in the 87th minute when David Villa intercepted a bad Joevin Jones pass and put a shot on goal but netminder Stefan Frei knocked the ball away. The ball went to Mikey Lopez, who had come on for Lampard four minutes prior, and the midfielder slipped it to Matarrita, who scored.

Seattle (5-9-1, 16) put only two of their 11 shots on goal, both stopped by 'keeper Josh Saunders.
Full story from Big Apple Soccer

WASHINGTON, DC-- Lamar Neagle and Sean Franklin scored to help D.C. United to a 2-0 victory over the New England Revolution Saturday night at RFK Stadium.

United (5-6-5, 20 points) took a deserved 1-0 lead in the 20th minute, when Luciano Acosta got to Taylor Kemp’s throw-in from the left and sent a long diagonal cross to the far side of the penalty area. Neagle was all alone to reach it, sending a snap volley past 'keeper Brad Knighton from about 10 yards.

It was 2-0 in the 27th minute, this time with Neagle playing provider after beating an offisde trap to reach Saborio’s pass. Neagle then found Franklin streaking into the penalty area from deep, with the outside back hammering Neagle’s service off the underside of the crossbar and over the line.

It was Franklin’s first goal of the year and Neagle’s team-leading fourth assist.

DCU 'keeper Bill Hamid made four saves, with his best coming early in the second half to deny Lee Nguyen’s low attempt.
Full story from DC Soccer News

CHESTER, Pa. – Andrew Jacobson, Kekuta Manneh and Christian Bolanos each scored as Vancouver Whitecaps FC handed the Philadelphia Union their first home loss of the season, 3-2 before a crowd of 17,225 Saturday night at Talen Energy Stadium.

Roland Alberg and Chris Pontius scored for the Union, who remain first in the Eastern Conference at 7-5-5 (26 points).

Vancouver improved to 7-7-3 (24 points).

The Union started off on the front foot, and took the lead on Alberg's goal in the 14th minute. Fabian Herbers blasted a shot off the far post, Alberg gathered the ball and scored his fifth goal of the season and his fourth in the past two matches.

Jacobson equalized in the 19th minute, getting his head on the ball after netminder Andre Blake tried to sweep Bolanos' corner kick away from the goal, and Vancouver took the lead in the 42nd minute. Manneh dribbled around a couple of Union defenders into the box and fired a shot past Blake for a 2-1 advantage which lasted through halftime.

The Whitecaps sealed the win with a third goal in the 84th minute by Bolanos, a right-footer from 17 yards.

Pontius closed out the Union scoring with a header off Sebastien le Toux's left side corner kick in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

Full story from Philly Soccer News

MONTREAL--Dom Dwyer scored twice to lift Sporting Kansas City into a 2-2 tie with the Montreal Impact Saturday at Stade Saputo.

It was the first time this season that Sporting (6-8-3, 22 pts) had taken a point after trailing at halftime. Dwyer has nine career goals against Montreal, more than any other player in the Canadian team's MLS history.

Lucas Ontivero staked the Impact (5-4-6, 21) to a short-lived early lead, and Ignacio PIatti connected from the spot after a questionable penalty call on KC defender Jimmy Medranda.

Didier Drogba played a role in both Montreal goals. In the 16th minute, he looped a ball into the right side of the box for Hassoun Camara, who tapped it across the six-yard box for Ontivero to finish. In the 37th, he caught Medranda's left leg while dribbling the ball forward and went down, drawing a penalty call from rookie MLS referee Mathieu Bourdeau.

Dwyer leveled the score 1-1 in the 21st minute, splitting two defenders to snap a short range header inside the right post off Roger Espinoza's pass in from outside the box.

In the 59th, Dwyer took a pass from Benny Feilhaber at the upper left side of the penalty area and sent a long low shot bounding off the right post and into the net to knot the score 2-2.

Sporting netminder Tim Melia came up with clutch saves on Ontivero's 69th-minute header and Piatti's 73rd-minute right-footer to preserve the draw.

ORLANDO---Kaka scored on a controversial penalty kick in the 10th minute of stoppage time to give Orlando City SC a 3-2 win over Toronto FC at the steamy Camping World Stadium Saturday night.

The call came as Drew Moor pulled down Julio Baptista in the penalty area. Josh Williams was given a red card in the ensuing argument, which no doubt centered on the lack of a call earlier, when Orlando goalkeeper Joe Bendik pulled down Jordan Hamilton in the area.

The lead was the second the Lions (4-3-8, 20 pts) had after the 85th minute of the game, and broke their string of three straight 2-2 draws, two of which came about because of giving up goals in the last 15 minutes of the game.

Orlando took the lead in the 83rd minute, scoring off a rookie goalkeeper who made a rookie mistake. Alex Bono, who entered the game in the 70th minute, came out of the net to challenge Kevin Alston for the ball along the line near the edge of the 18. The goalkeeper could not corral the ball, and it fell to Kevin Molino, who played it out to the top of the 18, where Adrian Winter headed the ball into the open net.

Justin Morrow drew Toronto (5-6-4, 19) level in the 90th minute, after Bendik deflected a shot by Sebastian Giovinco.
Full story from Sunshine Soccer News

FRISCO, Texas---Kellyn Acosta scored his first goal of the season and it held up as the game-winner for FC Dallas in a 2-0 victory over Real Salt Lake on Saturday at Toyota Stadium. FCD added an insurance tally from Fabian Castillo in the 59th minute.

Dallas improve to 9-5-4 and 31 points, while RSL fall to 8-5-3 (27).

Acosta scored in the 18th minute, tapping in a pass from Michael Barrios with his right foot after the RSL back line got caught napping. FCD midfield dynamo Mauro Diaz took a quick restart on a free kick near midfield, spotting Barrios streaking up the right flank. Just inside the box, Barrios laid the ball off to Acosta, who finished beautifully right outside of the six-yard box for his first goal in 17 games and fourth of his career.

Castillo gave Dallas some breathing room with a goal near the one-hour mark. Carlos Gruezo, making his first start since returning from a stint with Ecuador at Copa America, headed the ball near midfield to Diaz, who sent the ball to Castillo on the left flank with a bicycle kick. Castillo beat RSL goalkeeper Jeff Attinella far post with a right-footed shot from inside the Salt Lake area.
Full story from Dallas Soccer News

COLUMBUS, Ohio--Ola Kamara scored in the third minute of stoppage time to lift Columbus Crew SC into a 1-1 tie with the New York Red Bulls Saturday at MAPFRE Stadium.

Kamara's goal countered a 52nd-minute strike by Bradley Wright-Phillips. the results leaves Crew SC ninth in the MLS East at 3-5-7 and 16 points. The Red Bulls (-8-2, 23) drop from second to third in the conference.

Wright-Phillips broke the ice for the Red Bulls with a diving header in the 53rd minute as he had plenty of room and time to finish his team-high ninth goal of the season. Rookie winger Alex Muyl found himself with room on the right flank and crossed the ball to the English striker in front of the net.

Kamara beat goalkeeper Luis Robles from close range off a service from Shaun Francis to knot the score.
Full story from Big Apple Soccer

STANFORD, Calif.-- The LA Galaxy and San Jose Earthquakes battled to a 1-1 draw in the final California Clasico of the season, Saturday at Stanford Stadium.

Giovani Dos Santos staked the Galaxy to a 1-0 lead in the 69th minute before Chad Barrett netted the 90th minute equalizer for San Jose.

The result ended a three-game scoreless streak for the Galaxy, who improve to 5-3-8 and 23 points. The Quakes (5-4-7) are one point behind.

LA showed few signs of life during a scoreless first half that saw them outshot 12-1. After The second half was a completely different story with LA providing most of the firepower. Finally, dos Santos headed a brilliant cross from Gerrard past netminder David Bingham to end LA's goalless drought at 371 minutes.

But the Quakes pulled off another of their trademark late comebacks. After a series of rousing efforts that tested 'keeper Brian Rowe and his backline, in the 90th minute, Quintero won a free kick that led to Barrett's equalizing header that went low and right past the Galaxy netminder.

The Galaxy pressed hard for a winner, but only ended up losing defender Ashley Cole to a stoppage-time double yellow and ejection for a reckless challenge followed up by foul and abusive language. He and fellow backliner Jelle Van Damme, who was yellow carded before the intermission, he will miss LA's July 4 match against Vancouver.
Full story from LA Soccer News

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved