Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


July 9, 2016
Revs, Union romp; Rapids pull out dramatic draw

SEATTLE--The LA Galaxy got an early goal from Robbie Keane and a couple of lucky breaks down the stretch to hold on for an unconvincing 1-0 win over Seattle Sounders FC Saturday at CenturyLink Field.

Keane sealed the win in the 15th minute, getting position on defender Joevin Jones for a centering pass from Gyasi Zardes and cracking a shot off the bottom of the crossbar and into the net. The win leaves the Galaxy at 7-3-8 and 29 points, while the struggling Sounders remain at the bottom of the Western Conference table at 5-10-2 (17).

Keane's goal was the highlight of a Galaxy attack that sputtered badly after the intermission. Three of their four shots on goal came before halftime, all from Keane, and for the final 45 minutes they ceded possession and absorbed pressure like a team with a far more secure advantage than a simple 1-0. Netminder Brian Rowe finished with four saves, including a reflex stop on Erik Friberg's sharp header in the 66th minute, and got help from defender AJ de la Garza, who swept Jordan Morris' shot out of the goal mouth after he got past Rowe at the top of the penalty area.

Clint Dempsey also hit the post for the Sounders, from point-blank range in the 82nd minute.
Full story from LA Soccer News

FOXBOROUGH, Mass.--The New England Revolution christened the new playing field at Gillette Stadium with a 3-1 win over Columbus Crew SC on Saturday night.

Lee Nguyen and Kei Kamara scored for New England, sandwiching an own goal by Columbus defender Wil Trapp. Ola Kamara saved Columbus from the shutout.

New England improve to 5-7-7 and 22 points, while Columbus (3-7-7, 16) stretch their winless streak to five games.

The Revs put the hammer down early, with two goals on the books and a third called back before the intermission. Nguyen from the top of the penalty area, chesting down an attempted clearance and hammering a shot into the upper right corner.

In the 34th minute, Trapp doubled the Revolution lead with an own goal, mistiming a sliding attempt to block a shot by Kamara.

Columbus put one shot on goal before the break, and made it count. In the 42nd minute, Ola Kamara got a step on Revs captain Jose Goncalves for a pass from Tony Tchani and slotted a shot under goalkeeper Brad Knighton to make it a one-goal game.

Kamara kept pressing for a goal against his former teammates after the intermission, and found it in the 71st minute, shortly after being yellow carded for a leg-tangling play that sent defender Tony Tchani limping off the field. Knighton saved a long shot from Justin Meram and sent the ball upfield where it eventually found its way to Bunbury inside the penalty area. The Revolution forward went down hard after contact from Shaun Francis and the ball popped free. As Francis and teammate Chad Barson stood still apparently waiting for a penalty call, Kamara roofed a shot to make the score 3-1.
Full story from New England Soccer News

CHESTER, Pa. Ilsinho scored twice, Roland Alberg added a penalty kick and the Philadelphia Union throttled D.C. United, 3-0, Saturday night before a crowd of 18,463 at Talen Energy Stadium.

Ilsinho also scored on a PK and registered his first two goals in a Union uniform.

The Union improved to 8-6-5 (29 points) and moved within one point of New York City FC for first place in the Eastern Conference. In the process, the Union also snapped a two-match losing streak.

D.C. United fell to 5-7-6 (21 points) and had their three-match unbeaten streak broken. They were 1-0-2 in their last three matches.

Defender Kofi Opare recklessly tackled Chris Pontius in the box in the 19th minute causing referee Sorin Stoica to call a foul in the box. Alberg gave the Union a 1-0 lead in the 20th minute when he converted the penalty kick for his sixth goal of the season.

In the 36th minute, Ilsinho worked his way into the box and was taken down by D.C. United midfielder Marcelo Sarvas. He waved off Alberg and converted his own spot kick to put the Union up 2-0 in the 37th.

Ilsinho continued to propel the Union attack after the intermission, and extended Philadelphia's lead to 3-0 with a spectacular long-range blast past Hamid in the 47th minute. The play began with a free kick by Alberg into the box where Sapong deflected it out and Ilsinho connected.

In the 65th minute, Opare took down Pontius near the top of the box for his second yellow card of the match and subsequently was sent off with a red. D.C. United played the rest of the match a man down.
Full story from Philly Soccer News

TORONTO--Justin Morrow scored the only goal Toronto FC needed to slip past the Chicago Fire 1-0 Saturday at BMO Field.

Toronto FC took the lead in the ninth minute. Sebastian Giovinco slid a weighted through-ball into the path of Morrow, who made a run into the box from the left and slotted his shot inside the far post.

Chicago also created a number of chances while pushing for an equalizer, including a flurry in the 64th minute that began with a shot off the crossbar from Kennedy Igboananike, and finished with a blast from Arturo Alvarez that whizzed just wide of the post.

Giovinco dominated the Reds' offense, taking 13 of their 25 shots, but put only one on goal, a left-footer from the top of the arc that was easily collected by netminder Sean Johnson.

Johnson faced a stiffer challenge from Toronto's Tsubasa Endoh in the 15th minute, parrying a rising 18-yard left-footer over the bar with both hands.

The Reds pull into a tie on points with Orlando City for sixth place in the MLS East at 5-6-6 (21). The loss extended the Fire's MLS-record road winless streak to 33 games, and kept the team at the bottom of the East with 14 points (3-8-5).

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved