Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


July 16, 2016
FCD take Brimstone Cup; 9-man Quakes rock TFC

Fabian Espindola came off the bench to lift DC United into a 1-1 tie with Columbus Crew SC Saturday night at MAPFRE Stadium.
Fabian Espindola came off the bench to lift DC United into a 1-1 tie with Columbus Crew SC Saturday night at MAPFRE Stadium.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
COLUMBUS, Ohio--- Second half substitute Fabian Espindola scored in the 88th minute to give DC United a 1-1 draw against man-down Columbus Crew SC at MAPFRE Stadium Saturday night.

The draw leaves DCU at 5-7-7 and 22 points, and lifted Columbus (3-7-9, 18) out of the Eastern Conference cellar.

Espindola's goal started with a long ball out of the right side of midfield. Steve Birnbaum got under the ball at the left edge of the area and headed it to near the penalty arc. Alhaji Kamara got a touch on it before it deflected off Crew SC's Wil Trapp and fell to Espindola, who had only been in the game seven minutes. He turned on the ball and fired an 18 yard shot right into the Columbus net.

After an hour long snooze fest, MAPFRE Stadium finally woke up in the 63rd minute. Tony Tchani found a channel on the right side and sent a ball forward for Harrison Afful. The Ghana international continued his run, the squared a ball across the area for Ola Kamara who finished past Bill Hamid to the near post.

The game took a chippy turn after the goal, with a shoving match between the Crew's Trapp and Jared Jeffrey that resulted in nothing more than a talking to from referee Silviu Petrescu. But, minutes later, in the 74th, Petrescu went right for the red card, sending off Afful for a studs up tackle on Marcelo Sarvas.
Full story from DC Soccer News

FRISCO, Texas---FC Dallas reclaimed the Brimstone Cup after a four-year drought, battering the Chicago Fire 3-1 Saturday at Toyota Stadium.

Maxi Urruti, Mauro Diaz and Mauro Rosales scored for FCD, while Arturo Alvarez connected late to save the Fire from the shutout. Dallas (12-6-4) are the first team in the league to reach 40 points this season, while the Fire go winless for the 34th straight match on the road, and fall back into the Eastern Conference cellar at 4-9-5 (17).

Fabian Castillo assisted on two Dallas goals, including the Urruti's opener. Castillo outmaneuvered two Fire players on the left flank to set up Urruti, who rose above a Chicago defender to head in his fifth goal of the season.

Diaz made it 2-0 with a scintillating 30-yard strike that deflected off the far post and into the upper 90.

Chicago attempted to salvaged a positive end to the game, as Arturo Alvarez scored on a free kick 25 yards from goal in stoppage time. That positivity was immediately cancelled out going the other way however, when Mauro Rosales finished a Castillo cross to put the game away at 3-1.
Full story from Dallas Soccer News
Full story from Chicagoland Soccer News

COMMERCE CITY, Colo.--Marlon Hairston snapped a scoreless tie in the 78th minute and the Colorado Rapids held on for a 1-0 win over Sporting Kansas City Saturday night at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

The Rapids (10-2-7, 37 pts) remain unbeaten at home this season, and have not lost in their last 14 league matches. Sporting fall to 8-10-4 (28).

Hairston had Colorado's only two shots on goal, and delivered the win by curling a 19-yarder into the upper right corner. He started the sequence by picking off a bad clearance in the KC backfield and worked a give-and-go with Dillon Powers to get into shooting range.

Goalkeeper Tim Howard made three saves to preserve the win, including a 73rd-minute dive to the lower right corner to head off Ike Opara's goalbound header.

VANCOUVER, BC--Orlando City FC got off to a bright start and had multiple chances to take the full three points before settling for a 2-2 draw against Vancouver Whitecaps FC Saturday at BC Place.

Julio Baptista and Cyle Larin scored for the Lions, who improve to 4-5-10 and 22 points. Nicolas Mezquida and Masato Kudo countered for the 'Caps (8-8-5, 29).

Baptista ended the Lions' 284-minute scoring drought in the 14th minute with a hard 18-yarder into the lower right corner of the net. Luke Boden set the table with a pass back from the left edge of the penalty area.

Mezquida's 1-1 equalizer capped a convoluted sequence in the Orlando penalty area that started with Kudo's shot from the upper left corner of the box in the 35th minute. Lions 'keeper Joe Bendik blocked the ball but could not control it, letting it bounce freely back into play. Vancouver regained possession, and Cristian Bolanos drove in toward the right post. Bolanos went down after contact with a defender, causing players on both sides to hesitate waiting for a penalty call. The ball ended up with Mezquida who headed it home as referee Hilario Grajeda allowed play to continue.

Kudo sent the 'Caps into halftime with a 2-1 lead after Orlando City's Kevin Molino fouled Bolanos high on the right side. Pedro Morales' 30-yard free kick found the Japanese forward loosely marked, and he headed the ball home from just off the left post.

Larin made the score 2-2 in the 49th minute. Goalkeeper David Ousted punched away a Lions corner kick and the ball ended up with Kevin Molino at the upper left corner of the box. Molino sent the ball into the six-yard box and Larin easily outjumped defender Jordan Harvey to score from point blank range.

Baptista had a golden chance to put the game away at the hour mark, after using some artful footwork to earn a penalty from defender Jordan Smith in the 59th. The Brazilian stepped up for his own spot kick, but botched it badly, sending the ball into the stands behind the goal.

Lions goalkeeper Joe Bendik kept things level with point-blank saves on Kudo in the 61st minute and Mezquida eight minutes later.
Full story from Sunshine Soccer News

SANDY, Utah--The New England Revolution still havenít won at Rio Tinto Stadium in seven visits to Sandy but they managed to claim a point on Saturday night with a choppy scoreless draw against interconference rival Real Salt Lake.

The draw kept the Revolution (5-7-8, 23 points) sixth in the East and extended their unbeaten streak to a modest two games while the Claret and Blue (8-6-6, 30 points) havenít won in their last five league outings but remain in fourth place in the West.

The Revs dodged a pair of early bullets. In the fifth minute, Burrito Martinez laid off for an open Joao Plata in the box and the diminutive forward skied his uncontested left-footed effort over the bar. Ten minutes later, Luke Mulholland struck from distance off a corner kick and Shuttleworth made an alert save off Kyle Beckermanís short-range volley with Plata skying another attempt off the rebound.

New England appeared to grab the lead five minutes after intermission when Kei Kamara slotted past Rimando on a quick Rev counterattack, but was ruled to have fouled defender Aaron Maund on the play

Just past the hour mark the Claret and Blue nearly broke the deadlock but Yura Movsisyanís clever backheel off a Demar Phillips cross spun just wide as a frozen Shuttleworth looked on helplessly.

Ten minutes later though Shuttleworth came up big when Martinez chipped a pass over the New England back line and Movsisyan redirected on goal, but the Rev Ďkeeper extended his left foot for the kick save as Andrew Farrell closed hard to put the Armenian international off just enough.

It was Rimandoís turn soon after, coming off his line to deny substitute Diego Fagundez, who had collected a perfectly weighted through ball from Nguyen and was alone on goal near the penalty spot.
Full story from New England Soccer News

SAN JOSE, Calif.--Undaunted by red cards on either side of the intermission, the San Jose Earthquakes pulled out a 2-1 win over Toronto FC Saturday night at Avaya Stadium.

Simon Dawkins came through with the game-winner, threading a 19-yard shot through four Toronto defenders and past netminder Alex Bono in the 70th minute. The Quakes had been playing with nine men since Alberto Quintero was sent off in the 53rd minute after sliding in late to take down Toronto's Tsubasa Endoh.

Anibal Godoy collected the first red card of the match in the 42nd, also for a challenge on Endoh. Two minutes later, Justin Morrow put Toronto on the board, easily poking home Steven Beitashour's square pass across the goalmouth.

Morrow's goal countered Quincy Amarikwa's 30th-minute strike for San Jose, a left-footer from the top of the six-yard box set up by a pass from Fatai Alashe, who had just stolen the ball from Endoh.

San Jose remain eighth in the MLS West at 6-6-7 and 25 points, while the Reds are fifth in the east at 6-7-6 (24).

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved