Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


July 23, 2016
Star power shines in Toronto, Montreal

PORTLAND, Ore.---The Los Angeles Galaxy got early goals from Robbie Keane and Gyasi Zardes on the way to a 2-1 win over the Portland Timbers Saturday at Providence Park.

The Galaxy have won four straight, and improve to 9-3-8 and 35 points. The Timbers fall to 7-7-8 (29).

Robbie Keane got the Galaxy off to a quick start, staking them to a 1-0 lead in the seventh minute, and Gyasi Zardes made it 2-0 five minutes later.

Zardes actually started the play on Keane's goal, playing a ball to the feet of Giovani dos Santos on the right side of the penalty area. Dos Santos put the ball into the six-yard box, where Keane slipped between two Timbers defenders to finish.

LA went up 2-0 when Jelle Van Damme sent a long ball down the left side to Emmanuel Boateng. Boateng made a run almost to the end line before cutting the ball back to Zardes, who headed it in.

Zarek Valentin closed the gap to one in the 42nd minute, receiving the ball from Darlington Nagbe just outside the 18 and slamming a shot up the middle past netminder Brian Rowe.

The Galaxy came close to padding their lead in the 71st minute as Van Damme unleashed a 50 yard pass to a breaking Keane. Keane got under the ball, but a little too much, sending his volley from in front of the net high.
Full story from LA Soccer News

TORONTO-- Sebastian Giovinco broke out of his eight-game scoring slump in a big way on Saturday.

The Atomic Ant had a hat trick and a hand in Marky Delgado's second goal of the season to lead the Reds (7-7-6, 27 pts) to a 4-1 win over DC United (5-8-7, 22), who close out their five-game road swing on a decidedly down note.

Jared Jeffrey scored the lone goal for DCU, briefly knotting the score 1-1 in the 24th minute.

Both teams got off to a sloppy start, but got into gear quickly starting in the 20th minute, after Jeffrey sent Giovinco sprawling 25 yards from the goal. The diminutive Italian sent a picturebook free kick over the wall and dipping into the upper left corner past screened goalkeeper Travis Worra for a 1-0 Toronto lead.

Jeffrey atoned three minutes later, darting through the unprepared Toronto defense for a pass from Lloyd Sam, just beating a sliding tackle from Drew Moor and getting off a shot ahead of defender Eriq Zavaleta and past netminder Alex Bono.

The momentum remained with Toronto, however. In the 29th minute, Giovinco got through the DCU defense for an open shot at Worra. His off-balance effort bounced off the left post, however, leaving Delgado with an easy finish off the rebound. And in the 38th, Jeffrey again fouled Giovinco outside the arc, and Giovinco deposited another long free kick into the upper left corner for a 3-1 Toronto lead.

Giovinco completed his hat trick in the first minute of stoppage time, with a left-footed volley from the top of the six-yard box. Substitute Tousaint Ricketts, making his MLS debut, threatened to make the score 5-1 in the closing seconds, but was thwarted as Worra made his sixth save of the game.
Full story from DC Soccer News

MONTREAL--Didier Drogba registered a hat trick, Ignacio Piatti and Matteo Mancosu added a goal apiece and the Montreal Impact blitzed the Philadelphia Union, 5-1, Saturday night at Stade Saputo.

MLS All-Stars Drogba and Piatti helped the Impact improve to 7-5-8 and 29 points, while the Union fell to 8-7-6, 30 points despite a late goal from Chris Pontius.

Chris Pontius did manage a late goal for the Union.

Drogba opened the scoring in the 19th minute, off a cross from Ambroise Oyongo. Drogba struck again in the 42nd minute and the Impact went ahead 2-0. Piatti had an initial shot saved by goalkeeper Andre Blake and the ball bounced directly to Drogba in the box for the easy tap in.

Drogba completed his hat trick in the 52nd minute as he positioned himself between defenders Ray Gaddis and Richie Marquez to receive a pass from Piatti and ultimately score. Drogba now has eight goals this season and his second MLS hat trick.

Looking for a spark, the Union made a double substitution in the 57th minute, bringing Fabian Herbers and Walter Restrepo on for Sebastien Le Toux and Roland Alberg.

Pontius put the Union on the board in the 73rd minute with his eighth goal of the season, cutting the lead to 3-1. Following a long cross from Walter Restrepo, Pontius headed the ball past Evan Bush.

Mancosu closed things out with a goal in the first minute of stoppage time as the Impact pushed their lead to 5-1.
Full story from Philly Soccer News

COLUMBUS, Ohio--Kevin Molino had a goal and an assist to power Orlando City SC to a 2-2 comeback draw against Columbus Crew SC Saturday at MAPFRE Stadium.

Down 2-0 at the intermission, the Lions leveled the score within a five-minute span of the second half. Molino made it a one-goal game in the 65th minute, snagging the loose ball after Kaka's right-side corner kick pingponged around the six-yard box.

In the 70th, Molino left-footed the ball from the right flank to the top of the six-yard box for Larin, who snapped a header in to level the score.

The first half was all Columbus, with Tony Tchani opening the scoring in the 20th minute. After Luke Boden turned the ball over in the Orlando City backfield, Tchani worked a give-and-go with Justin Meram that led him not only into the box but through the flustered Lions' defense for an open shot past netminder Joe Bendik.

Ola Kamara doubled Crew SC's lead in the sixth and final minute of stoppage time before the intermission, converting the penalty kick after being taken down by Bendik in front of the goal.

Both teams had chances to snatch the win in stoppage time. Seconds after Bendik dove to keep Federico Higuain's shot out of the lower left corner, Carlos Rivas forced a leaping save by Columbus goalkeeper Steve Clark.
Full story from Sunshine Soccer News

FOXBOROUGH, Mass.--Just three days after launching the New England Revolution into the semifinals of the U.S. Open Cup with a first-half goal and the decisive penalty kick, Je-Vaughn Watson broke a scoreless deadlock in the 85th minute with his first league goal of the season to give the Revs a 1-0 victory over the Chicago Fire at Gillette Stadium on Saturday night.

New England dominated possession and chances, putting eleven shots on goal to Chicago’s none, but the Revolution (6-7-8, 26 points) needed a spark off the bench from Diego Fagundez and Watson’s late header off a Chris Tierney corner kick to beat Chicago ‘keeper Sean Johnson and give the Revs their second win of the season over their division rivals.

The Revs extended their unbeaten streak to three games and remained in sixth place in the East, while the loss was the eighth straight on the road for the last-place Fire (4-10-5, 19 points), who haven’t won away from Toyota Park in over two years and saw their road winless streak reach a league-record 35 games.

The visitors nearly broke through on a comical sequence in the 56th minute when defender Jose Goncalves blocked a David Accam cross toward goal forcing a desperate rescue from 'keeper Bobby Shuttleworth and then Fire midfielder John Goossens whiffed on the short-angled rebound with the net untended.

Fagundez came off the bench and forced netminder Sean Johnson to make four saves in the final 31 minutes of the match. The final attempt was parried out by Johnson for a corner kick. Chris Tierney curled his delivery toward the penalty spot from the right corner and Johnson, who had registered ten saves to that point, tried to battle through traffic for the punch. But as the Chicago ‘keeper swung and missed, Watson headed between two Fire defenders stationed on the line for the game-winner.
Full story from New England Soccer News
Full story from Chicagoland Soccer News

COMMERCE CITY, Colo.--Victor Ulloa's 82nd-minute blast lifted FC Dallas (12-6-5, 41 points) into a 1-1 tie with the league-leading Colorado Rapids Saturday at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

Colorado (10-2-8, 38 points) got its lone goal in the 44nd minute from Marlon Hairston. The Rapids saw their franchise-record unbeaten streak run to 15 games and remain unbeaten at home at 8-0-3.

Hairston put the home side ahead one minute before halftime after he capitalized on an Atiba Harris gaffe on the right flank. Harris was attempting to clear the ball, but instead it deflected off Hairston, who scored with a soft right-footed shot as FCD goalkeeper Chris Seitz came way off his line.

In the 80th minute, Ulloa came on for Carlos Gruezo and two minutes later, he struck paydirt with his third career goal. Ulloa connected from about 25 yards out with his right foot, delivering a blast which Tim Howard got part of his left hand on before it went upper 90 and landed in the top right corner of the Rapids net.

Howard came up big one minute later when he denied Michael Barrios with a kick save.
Full story from Dallas Soccer News

HOUSTON--The Houston Dynamo and Vancouver Whitecaps FC battled to a scoreless draw Saturday at BBVA Compass Stadium.

Houston (4-9-7, 19 pts) have been shut out in four straight matches. Vancouver improves to 8-8-6 (30).

Both teams put four shots on goal. Boniek Garcia came closest to snapping the Dynamo's scoreless drought with a 72nd-minute shot that hit the crossbar, bounced straight down and rolled across the goal line before passing untouched out of play.

Vancouver 'keeper David Ousted also needed a reflex save on David Horst's stoppage-time header to keep things scoreless.

Dynamo 'keeper Joe Willis matched Ousted's four saves. He was beaten by Erik Hurtado in the 84th minute, but the goal was called back for a handball.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved