Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


August 6, 2016
3 more for Gio; Rimando notches record win

Sebastian Giovinco took over the league scoring lead with three goals against New England on Saturday, giving him 15 this season.
Sebastian Giovinco took over the league scoring lead with three goals against New England on Saturday, giving him 15 this season.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
WASHINGTON, DC--Steve Birnbaum scored in stoppage time to lift DC United into a 2-2 comeback draw with the Philadelphia Union Saturday night at RFK Stadium.

Taylor Kemp staked DC (5-8-9, 24 points) to an early lead, but Tranquillo Barnetta and former DCU midfielder Chris Pontius scored to leave Philadelphia up 2-1 into the closing minutes.

Philadelphia hasn’t won a match since July 9. The former Eastern Conference leaders have fallen to 8-8-7 (31).

D.C. United went ahead 1-0 in the 16th minute on a goal by Kemp. Dribbling down the left wing, Kemp pushed through Ken Tribbett, Barnetta and Richie Marquez and unleashed a left-footed strike past Union goalkeeper Andre Blake for his first goal of the season.

The Union responded in the first minute of stoppage time before the intermission, with Barnetta bending a 25-yard free kick past goalkeeper Bill Hamid and into the corner of the net.

Pontius gave the Union a 2-1 lead in the 57th minute with his team-leading ninth goal of the season. Ilsinho intercepted a pass by Luciano Acosta and found an open Pontius for the strike in the box.

D.C. United head coach Ben Olsen was upset with the officials and was ejected in the 85th minute, apparently for a non-call for a foul against Luciano Acosta.

In the second minute of stoppage time, Blake stepped up with two huge saves, on back-to-back shots by Kennedy Igboananike and Lamar Neagle, to preserve the lead for the Union. Blake came up with another save on a header by Steve Birnbaum, but seconds later the DC defender latched on to Patrick Nyarko's cross to deliver the win.

Full story from Phillly Soccer News

TORONTO--Sebastian Giovinco moved to the top of the MLS scoring chart with three goals as Toronto FC routed the New England Revolution 4-1 Saturday at raucous BMO Field.

Giovinco scored two brilliant goals in the opening half-hour and added a second-half penalty kick, while Jozy Altidore slotted in a stoppage-time clincher on the final action of the night as the second-place Reds (10-7-6, 36 points) claimed their fifth straight home win.

Teal Bunbury came off the bench to pull one back late for New England (6-9-8, 26 points) off a deep cross from Kelyn Rowe, but the Revolution’s road woes continued (1-7-4) as they dropped their second straight game away from Foxborough by a lopsided margin and remain clinging to the sixth spot in the East.

Giovinco struck first in the 20th minute, after the Revs failed to clear a 20th-minute Toronto corner kick. Pouncing on a deflected Michael Bradley shot from distance, the 2015 Golden Boot winner buried a first-time dagger inside the left post from just inside the right corner of the 18-yard box.

Nine minutes later, the Atomic Ant had a brace. After Mark Bloom stole the ball from Rowe, Giovinco collected the takeaway in the left corner and circled to the top of the penalty area before curling a masterful strike into the roof of the net over Bobby Shuttleworth’s outstretched fingers.

Kei Kamara appeared to halve the lead in the lead in the 63rd minute off a through pass from Rowe, but Assistant Referee Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho judged the Revolution striker a hair offside. And in the 76th, after defender Darrius Barnes clipped Jonathan Osorio from behind, Giovinco completed his hat trick from the spot.

Bunbury, who entered for Gershon Koffie in the 57th minute, was able to get a leg on a cross from Rowe from deep on the right sideline to sweep home his second goal of the season from close range in the 88th minute but it was too little, too late.

The outcome was no longer in doubt in the third and final minute of stoppage time when the Reds played a free quick quickly in the attacking end and Altidore, who had come on in the second half, was able to beat the demoralized Revs.
Full story from New England Soccer News

MONTREAL--Matteo Mancosu's 76th-minute goal gave the Montreal Impact a 1-0 win over the Houston Dynamo Saturday at Stade Saputo.

Montreal (8-5-9, 33 pts) take over third place in the MLS East. The Dynamo (4-10-8, 20) remain winless on the road, having lost nine of 12 matches away from BBVA Compass Stadium.

The scoring play started with a Dynamo turnover near midfield. Marco Donadel fed the ball through to Mancosu, who drove a low, hard shot into the bottom left corner of the net.

Houston got off to a spirited start, with Abdoulie Mansally forcing 'keeper Evan Bush into the first of his five saves in the third minute. Mansally nearly leveled the score in the 87th, but Bush tipped his sharp volley over the bar.

COMMERCE CITY, Colo.--Marlon Hairston led the way with a goal and an assist as the Colorado Rapids (11-3-8, 41 pts) blanked Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2-0 Saturday at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

Hairston opened the scoring in the 44th minute, and set the table for Dominique Badji's capper in the 60th. The score might have been even more lopsided had goalkeeper David Ousted not come through with five saves as his 'Caps were outshot 23-7.

Hairston finished off a give-and-go with Mark Burch to put Colorado up 1-0. Burch received the ball just outside the penalty area and beat defender Tim Parker to take the ball deep down the left side before crossing it into the six-yard box.

Hairston centered the ball from the right side of the box to set up Badji's eight-yard insurance tally.

Vancouver falls to 8-10-6 (30).

SANDY, Utah--Javier Morales had two goals and an assist to lead Real Salt Lake past the Chicago Fire 3-1 Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium.

Olmes Garcia opened the scoring for RSL, who move into third place in the MLS West at 10-7-7 and 37 points. Their epic road winless streak now at 36 games, the Fire fall to 4-11-6 (18). RSL's Nick Rimando made four saves to become the winningest goalkeeper in MLS history with 181.

RSL got on the board in the 15th minute when Morales held the ball at the top of the Chicago box before rolling a pass across to Garcia, whose slow roller caught goalkeeper Matt Lampson going the other way.

The Fire’s woes continued in the 27th minute when Eric Gehrig took Juan Manuel Martinez down in the box with a high, late challenge. Morales finished the penalty easily, putting RSL up comfortably before the 30-minute mark.

Chicago pulled a goal back and gave themselves life in the 58th minute. Nick LaBrocca received the ball on the left flank after the Fire moved into their attacking half. His long cross met a well-timed run by Alvarez, who volleyed it to the far post to pull the Fire within a goal.

RSL quickly snuffed out any positive feeling. After again sustaining pressure against an indifferent Chicago defense, RSL passed the ball around the edge of the box before Javier Morales picked up his second goal of the night with a shot that hit the near post and rang into the back of the net in the 64th minute to extend RSL’s lead to 3-1.
Full story from Chicagoland Soccer News

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved