Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


August 24, 2016
Impact rally in stoppage time, Reds move to the top in MLS East

MONTREAL--The Montreal Impact conceded an early penalty kick, but rallied to tie DC United 1-1 Wednesday night at Stade Saputo.

Hassoun Camara scored the equalizer in the 77th minute, salvaging a point for the Impact (8-7-10, 34 pts).

DC took a 1-0 lead in the 39th minute, converting the penalty kick after Patrick Nyarko was tripped up in the box by Donny Toia.

The Impact had numerous chances to snatch the win after Camara's equalizer, but could not put a shot on goal, even after gaining a man advantage when defender Kofi Opare drew a straight red card for a studs-up challenge on Marco Donadel in the 89th minute.

ORLANDO--Sebastian Giovinco set up both goals as Toronto FC edged Orlando City SC 2-1 Wednesday night at Camping World Stadium.

The Reds (12-7-7, 43 pts), who take over first place in the MLS East from New York City FC, took a 1-0 lead when Tosaint Ricketts scored in the seventh minute, and never trailed. Cyle Larin leveled the score for the Lions (5-7-13, 28) in the 56th, but Jozy Altidore came through with the 86th-minute game-winner.

Ricketts beat netminder Joe Bendik one-on-one after taking a pass from Giovinco and outrunning defender Tommy Redding.

Larin outjumped defender Josh Williams to get his head on Luke Boden's left-side cross and level the score.

Altidore, who came off the bench for Ricketts in the 58th minute, delivered the win to Toronto with an empty-net goal, darting through the Lions defense for Giovinco's pass and dribbling around Bendik at the top of the penalty area before depositing the clincher.

Larin nearly tied the score for Orlando in the second minute of stoppage time, but hit the post.
Full story from Sunshine Soccer News

COLUMBUS, Ohio---Rookies Fabian Herbers and Keegan Rosenberry scored to help the Philadelphia Union to a 2-1 win over the Columbus Crew SC at MAPFRE Stadium Wednesday.

The Union improve to 9-9-7, with 37 points, while Columbus falls to 4-9-11 (23).

The Union took the lead on the hour mark. Chris Pontius controlled the ball on the left side and made a run before cutting across the top of the 18. Pontius laid a ball off to Herbers, whose initial attempt hit a defender. He slotted the second attempt under Crew goalkeeper Steve Clark for his second goal of the season, both against Columbus.

Crew SC equalized in the 73rd minute on a wild play, following a corner kick by Federico Higuain. Tony Tchani got a head on it, but Andre Blake stopped it, sending it careening off the crossbar. Adam Jahn then got the rebound and put it over the line.

It took the Union only a minute to retake the lead, following a buildup after the restart. Tranquillo Barnetta sent the ball forward to Rosenberry, who also scored his second goal of the season.
Full story from Philly Soccer News

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill.-- The Chicago Fire rallied from an early deficit, but settled for a 2-2 draw with the Los Angeles Galaxy Wednesday night at Toyota Park.

Gyasi Zardes staked the visitors to an early 1-0 lead, but the Fire turned the tables before halftime with goals by Arturo Alvarez and David Accam. Second half sub Giovani Dos Santos equalized for LA, giving each team a point.

The Fire improve to 5-11-8 and 23 points. They remain in the Eastern Conference cellar, but now have someone to share it with, moving into a tie on points with Columbus Crew SC. The Galaxy move into fourth place in the West at 9-4-12 (39).

The Galaxy got on the scoresheet in the 32nd minute, when Jelle Van Damme won the ball in the midfield, surging forward before delivering the ball to Mike Magee on the wing. Magee’s cross sailed to the top of the six-yard box, but a failed clearance by Khaly Thiam fell directly to Zardes, who did not miss with his shot from the penalty spot, giving L.A. the 1-0 lead.

The Fire drew level just two minutes later, when Arturo Alvarez scored off a rebound.

The equalizer put LA on their back foot, and the shift in momentum paid off for the Fire minutes later. Van Damme earned a yellow card and gave Chicago a penalty kick when he tripped Luis Solignac, who was shielding the ball just inside the top of the box. Accam stepped up and gave Chicago the lead when he buried the spot kick.

LA made offensive substitutions in the second half to try getting themselves back in the game, and it paid off in the 69th minute when Alan Gordon took the ball to the endline before cutting the ball back to the top of the six, where Dos Santos one-timed it into the back of the net to bring the Galaxy level.
Full story from Chicagoland Soccer News

HOUSTON--Nicolas Lodeiro scored in the fourth minute of stoppage time to lift Seattle Sounders FC into a 1-1 tie with the Houston Dynamo Wednesday night at BBVA Compass Stadium.

Lodeiro's goal countered Andrew Wenger's 75th-minute icebreaker for the Dynamo, who remain mired in the Western Conference cellar at 5-10-10 and 25 points.

Wenger put a shot into the left inside netting after Dynamo midfielder Alex stole the ball from Seattle's Cristian Roldan.

Lodeiro was left unguarded eight yards from goal and equalized off Joevin Jones' pass from deep on the left side.

The Dynamo got off 22 shots, but most were well off target. Goalkeeper Stefan Frei needed only three saves to preserve the draw for Seattle (9-12-4, 31).

SAN JOSE--Chances were few and finishing poor as the San Jose Earthquakes and New England Revolution played to a scoreless draw Wednesday at Avaya Stadium.

The outcome broke a four-game losing streak for the Revs (6-11-9, 27 points) but extended their scoreless stretch to 272 minutes as chances to redeem a slack season dwindle. Like the Revolution, the seventh-place Quakes (7-7-11, 32 points) were unable to seize the moment and move into the playoff picture.

Neither team put a shot on goal before the intermission, although Quakes midfielder Simon Dawkins delivered a chance on a platter for Chris Wondolowski with a crisp cross to the top of the six-yard box in the 20th minute, but the two-time Golden Boot winner directed his open header wide of the post.

The hosts escaped with an intact eleven a few minutes later when Anibal Godoy took out Scott Caldwell with a two-legged challenge and referee Hilario Grajeda only flashed yellow.

Just shy of the hour mark, the Revs nearly broke through but Kei Kamara was unable to find the back of an open net after collecting a touch pass from Lee Nguyen that split the San Jose central defenders and circling Quake ‘keeper David Bingham, hitting the right post from a short angle and falling to ground with his head in his hands.
Full story from New England Soccer News

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved