Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


June 25, 2016
Revolution drop 2-0 decision to DC United

by Ian Quillen
New England Soccer News Contributor

Lee Nguyen had the best of New England's few chances against DC United on Saturday.
Lee Nguyen had the best of New England's few chances against DC United on Saturday.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
WASHINGTON, DC-- Lamar Neagle and Sean Franklin scored to help D.C. United to a 2-0 victory over the New England Revolution Saturday at RFK Stadium.

Luciano Acosta and Alvaro Saborio each picked up assists for United.

Center back Jalen Robinson helped his back four preserve a shutout in his first MLS start, playing after veteran Bobby Boswell was suspended for a challenge in last week’s scoreless draw at Houston.

United (5-6-5, 20 points) nearly opened the scoring In the 10th minute when Acosta sliced the Revs open with a long through ball to Saborio. London Woodberry’s last-ditch challenge saved the day, but only after Brad Knighton had to dive low and quick to ensure Woodberry’s redirection didn’t end up in the back of his own net.

D.C. had a deserved 1-0 lead 10 minutes later when Acosta got to Taylor Kemp’s throw-in from the left and sent a long diagonal cross to the far side of the penalty area.

Neagle was all alone to reach it, sending a snap volley past Knighton from about 10 yards.

It was 2-0 in the 27th minute, this time with Neagle playing provider after beating the offisde trap to reach Saborio’s pass. Neagle then found Franklin streaking into the penalty area from deep, with the outside back hammering Neagle’s service off the underside of the crossbar and over the line.

It was Franklin’s first goal of the year and Neagle’s team-leading fourth assist.

The Revs forced DCU 'keeper Bill Hamid to make four saves. Daigo Kobayashi latched onto a loose ball and sent in a 19-yard attempt in the fifth minute. But New England's best chance of the match came in the 50th, when Lee Nguyen got into the six-yard box alone and nearly nutmegged Hamid with a low shot.

Diego Fagundez made the final challenge on Hamid, with a long shot from the left side in the 90th minute.

Otherwise, United was unlucky not to score a third, with Neagle forcing Knighton into a sprawling save in the 58th minute and substitute Alhaji Kamara also denied by the ‘keeper in stoppage time.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved