Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


July 9, 2016
Kamara scores the capper as Revolution defeat Columbus 3-1

Lee Nguyen put New England on the board against Columbus in the third minute of Saturday's 3-1 Revolution win at Gillette Stadium.
Lee Nguyen put New England on the board against Columbus in the third minute of Saturday's 3-1 Revolution win at Gillette Stadium.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
FOXBOROUGH, Mass.--The New England Revolution christened the new playing field at Gillette Stadium with a 3-1 win over Columbus Crew SC on Saturday night.

Lee Nguyen and Kei Kamara scored for New England, sandwiching an own goal by Columbus defender Wil Trapp. Ola Kamara saved Columbus from the shutout.

New England improve to 5-7-7 and 22 points, while Columbus (3-7-7, 16) stretch their winless streak to five games.

The Revs put the hammer down early, with two goals on the books and a third called back before the intermission.

Nguyen opened the scoring in the third minute after a defense-shattering side-to-side passing sequence that started with Andrew Farrell down the right side. Farrell crossed the ball to Chris Tierney on the left flank, and the Revolution passmaster sent a ball into the box for Kamara. A Columbus defender headed the ball to the top of the penalty area where Nguyen chested it down and hammered a shot into the upper right corner.

New England's high-pressure attack kept Columbus on their heels for much of the half. Goalkeeper Steve Clark scrambled to keep Teal Bunbury's header from bouncing into the goal in the tenth minute, and Kamara went down inside the six-yard box while chasing down Tierney's service in the 30th, drawing calls for a penalty kick that went unanswered by referee Mark Geiger.

Four minutes later, Trapp doubled the Revolution lead with an own goal. Kamara was sprung down the left side and took the ball to the top of the penalty area before cutting it back to Nguyen and continuing his run. Nguyen fed the ball back into the box and Kamara got off an angled shot through the six-yard box. Trapp slid in but mistimed his block and directed the ball into his own net.

The Revs appeared to go up 3-0 in the 40th minute after Teal Bunbury latched onto Nguyen's quick free kick and put the ball into the upper right corner, but he was ruled offside.

Columbus put one shot on goal before the break, and made it count. In the 42nd minute, Ola Kamara got a step on Revs captain Jose Goncalves for a pass from Tony Tchani and slotted a shot under goalkeeper Brad Knighton to make it a one-goal game.

Kamara kept pressing for a goal against his former teammates after the intermission, and forced Clark to fall on an off-balance 17-yarder in the 52nd minute. The early momentum in the second half belonged to Columbus, however, and seconds later Ola Kamara nearly leveled the score from inside the six-yard box but touched his shot just wide of the right post.

Four minutes later, another Crew SC defensive error nearly opened the door for the Revolution to go up 3-1. Bunbury stole the ball from Trapp and dribbled into the right side of the box. Rather than take an open shot, however, he centered a pass to Kamara, who was tightly defended. Former New England defender Michael Parkhurst blocked Kamara's shot straight up, and Clark pushed it over the bar.

Ola Kamara had another chance to level the score for Columbus in the 61st minute, but appeared to be caught off guard by Justin Meram's pass in from the left flank and couldn't get off a shot. By this time, the teams were trading chances end-to-end, and Kelyn Rowe choreographed the Revs' next chance with a looping pass in from the left flank. The ball was too high for Kamara to reach from inside the six-yard box, and sailed to Bunbury, who slammed his close-range effort into The Fort behind the goal.

Kamara finally got his revenge on the Crew in the 71st minute, shortly after being yellow carded for a leg-tangling play that sent defender Tony Tchani limping off the field. Knighton saved a long shot from Justin Meram and sent the ball upfield where it eventually found its way to Bunbury inside the penalty area. The Revolution forward went down hard after contact from Shaun Francis and the ball popped free. As Francis and teammate Chad Barson stood still apparently waiting for a penalty call, Kamara roofed a shot to make the score 3-1.

New England spent the closing minutes concentrating on defense, and for the most part denied Columbus any dangerous opportunities, although Knighton dodged a bullet in the 84th minute, when he blocked a hard ball from Cedric back through the six-yard box. No Columbus player was there to take advantage of the tantalizing opportunity. In the 89th minute, Meram sent a 30-yard shot clanging off the left post as the weather deteriorated to a downpour, and mildly challenged Knighton with a soft bloop header in the first minute of stoppage time.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved