Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


July 16, 2016
Revs, RSL play to 0-0 tie

Goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth came up with a clutch late kick save on Yura Movsisyan to preserve the Revolution's 0-0 draw with Real Salt Lake on Saturday.
Goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth came up with a clutch late kick save on Yura Movsisyan to preserve the Revolution's 0-0 draw with Real Salt Lake on Saturday.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
SANDY, Utah--The New England Revolution still haven’t won at Rio Tinto Stadium in seven visits to Sandy but they managed to claim a point on Saturday night with a choppy scoreless draw against interconference rival Real Salt Lake.

The draw kept the Revolution (5-7-8, 23 points) sixth in the East and extended their unbeaten streak to a modest two games while the Claret and Blue (8-6-6, 30 points) haven’t won in their last five league outings but remain in fourth place in the West.

Coming off a 3-1 home win over Columbus last Saturday, New England Head Coach Jay Heaps made two changes to the Revolution lineup. Bobby Shuttleworth returned to goal while Daigo Kobayashi got the nod in the defensive midfield. Je-Vaughn Watson rejoined the back line after moving up to the midfield against the Crew, replacing banged-up Chris Tierney at left back.

The Revs dodged a pair of early bullets. In the fifth minute, Burrito Martinez laid off for an open Joao Plata in the box and the diminutive forward skied his uncontested left-footed effort over the bar. Ten minutes later, Luke Mulholland struck from distance off a corner kick and Shuttleworth made an alert save off Kyle Beckerman’s short-range volley with Plata skying another attempt off the rebound.

The Revs failed to put a shot on target in the opening frame but Lee Nguyen nearly caught Salt Lake ‘keeper Nick Rimando out in the last action of first-half stoppage time when he intercepted a pass and fired just wide of the post from 30 yards out.

New England appeared to grab the lead five minutes after intermission when Kei Kamara slotted past Rimando off a Rowe cross on a quick Rev counterattack, but the assistant referee judged Kamara to clip the heel of Boston native Aaron Maund to get open.

Just past the hour mark the Claret and Blue nearly broke the deadlock but Yura Movsisyan’s clever backheel off a Demar Phillips cross spun just wide as a frozen Shuttleworth looked on helplessly.

Ten minutes later though Shuttleworth came up big when Martinez chipped a pass over the New England back line and Movsisyan redirected on goal, but the Rev ‘keeper extended his left foot for the kick save as Andrew Farrell closed hard to put the Armenian international off just enough.

It was Rimando’s turn soon after, coming off his line to deny substitute Diego Fagundez, who had collected a perfectly weighted through ball from Nguyen and was alone on goal near the penalty spot.

The home side had a final chance in stoppage time but Olmes Garcia chipped just over the bar off a Beckerman layoff.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved