Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


July 20, 2016
Revolution eliminate Union on PKs

By Frank Dell'Apa
New England Soccer News Contributing Editor

Je-Vaughn Watson scored in regulation and penalty kicks to help the Revs beat Philadelphia on Wednesday and move on to the Open Cup semifinals.
Je-Vaughn Watson scored in regulation and penalty kicks to help the Revs beat Philadelphia on Wednesday and move on to the Open Cup semifinals.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
ALLSTON, Mass. -- Brad Knighton saved two penalty kicks and Je-Vaughn Watson converted the clinching shot as the New England Revolution eliminated the Philadelphia Union in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open Cup at Harvard’s Jordan Field Wednesday night.

The Revolution will meet the Chicago Fire in the semifinals Aug. 10, the site to be determined by a Thursday draw.

Watson gave the Revolution a first-half lead with his first goal since joining the team this season, Fabian Herbers tying the score in the 90th minute as the match ended deadlocked, 1-1, through regulation time and extra time.

The Revolution then won on penalty kicks as Knighton dove left to bat away Sebastien Le Toux’s shot on the Union’s first attempt, then stopped stopped C.J. Sapong on the third, the Revolution taking a 4-2 edge on penalties.

The Revolution stayed on the offensive for most of the first half. Kelyn Rowe’s left-footer off a Kei Kamara knockdown was grabbed by Andre Blake in the eighth minute. Kamara fired wide left in the 11th minute.

The Union threatened through Sapong’s hold-up play, but Revolution central defenders Jose Gonçalves and Sabinha mostly kept him in check. The Union had early chances as Sapong went down in a clash with Sambinha in the penalty arc, Roland Alberg’s free kick blocked by the wall in the 13th minute. Ilsinho had a header blocked from close range in the 16th minute.

A Kamara-Diego Fagundez combination led to a close-range left-footer by Kamara. blocked by Blake in the 27th minute, followed by Fagundez earning a 28th-minute free kick.

In the 35th minute, Union defender Ken Tribbett failed to connect with an open net off a Ray Gaddis cross from the right. The Revolution countered, Steve Neumann taking a Kamara layoff and shooting past Blake, just wide left.

After Kamara was taken down by Tribbett, Fagundez caught the Union flat-footed, touching on a short free kick for Watson to finish into an open net in the 44th minute. A minute later, a Rowe drive was parried by Blake.

Sapong earned a free kick in the first minute of the second half as the Union started strong.

But the Revolution countered, Kamara heading a Scott Caldwell cross off a 48th-minute corner kick. The Revolution called for a Tribbett hand ball after a low Kamara shot popped up in the 51st minute.

Knighton made a stop on Ilsinho’s 61st-minute shot, then Andrew Farrell cleared another Ilsinho advance.

Kamara’s 69th-minute drive off a Jose Gonçalves clearance was punched out for a corner, then a Kamara blast off a Sambinha layoff went for a 71st-minute corner.

The Union went to a four-striker alignment, adding Herbers and Sebastien Le Toux, then Leo Fernandes. Kamara was replaced by Zach Herivaux in the 84th minute, leaving the Revolution without a hold-up forward.

Philadelphia continued to advance, tying the score as Gaddis went forward on the right, the Revolution struggling to clear his cross, Herbers finishing in the 90th minute.

Knighton made another key stop, smothering a shot as Fernandes broke through off a Sapong hold-up, firing from point-blank range in the fifth minute of overtime.

The Revolution soon settled into a possession game, and it nearly paid off as Farrell went in alone on Blake, who saved, then saved Rowe's follow in the 105th minute. The Revolution had a chance to take the lead as substitute Lee Nguyen moved into the penalty area on the right and fed Rowe, whose one-timer went high in the 119th minute.

On penalty kicks, Nguyen and Chris Tierney converted the Revolution’s first two attempts, then Scott Caldwell fired wide left. Ilsinho scored on the Union’s second attempt and Herbers on the fourth. Gonçalves upped the Revolution edge to 3-1 with the team’s fourth attempt, before Watson converted the clincher.
Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved