Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


August 13, 2016
Revolution routed by Union

By Adam Burrows
New England Soccer News Contributor

CJ Sapong scored two minutes in and the Philadelphia Union never looked back, dismantling the Revs 4-0 Saturday at Gillette Stadium.
CJ Sapong scored two minutes in and the Philadelphia Union never looked back, dismantling the Revs 4-0 Saturday at Gillette Stadium.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
FOXBOROUGH -- The New England Revolution dropped their third straight league match by a lopsided margin, falling, 4-0, to a superior Philadelphia Union at Gillette Stadium Saturday night in front of 17,127 fans, who started to file out in the 70th minute.

C.J. Sapong scored for Philadelphia just 78 seconds after the opening whistle and the visitors never relinquished control. Chris Pontius and Richie Marquez added goals early in the second half and former Rev favorite Charlie Davies came off the bench to assist on a stoppage-time clincher by Roland Alberg, while U.S. international Alejandro Bedoya
made his MLS debut as the Union’s newest Designated Player.

The Revs (6-10-8, 26 points) have now allowed a league-high 44 goals, 11 in the last three games, all against conference rivals. The Union (9-8-7, 34 points) snapped a four-game winless run and leapfrogged Montreal into fourth place in the Eastern Conference. The Union also claimed the I-95 season series from the Revs with two clean sheets, including a 3-0 shutout in Chester March 20.

Coming off a 3-1 U.S. Open Cup semifinal win over Chicago at home Tuesday night, on the heels of two away losses in league play, New England coach Jay Heaps made two changes to the lineup that took the field for last Saturday’s 4-1 loss to Toronto FC.

With Gershon Koffie suspended for yellow card accumulation, Heaps opted for an attack-minded lineup, with Teal Bunbury entering the midfield and Je-Vaughn Watson returning to the back line.

The Revs got off on the wrong foot and never recovered as Sapong put the Union on the board in the second minute. Left back Fabinho got past Bunbury and Andrew Farrell along the sideline and, while Bunbury appealed for an out-of-bounds call, the Brazilian crossed to the top of the goal area, Sapong maneuvering inside Jose Gonçalves to redirect inside the right post with the outside of his right boot.

With the visitors always a step quicker to the ball, the home side didn’t threaten until the 19th minute, when Diego Fagundez sliced in from the left and forced a save from Andre Blake. It was another 20 minutes until Chris Tierney slalomed into the heart of the Union defense from near the midfield stripe and fed Andrew Farrell for a first-timer that stung the Union ‘keeper. Moments later, Kei Kamara headed into the left post off a cross from Farrell, whose forward forays enlivened an otherwise stale New England first-half attack. But that was as close as the Revs came.

Six minutes from intermission the Union doubled the lead. Ilsinho barreled in from the right and squared to an unmarked Pontius, who slotted past Shuttleworth for his team-leading 10th goal of the campaign.

While the Revs were still recovering, the Union struck three minutes later, delighting the Sons of Ben huddled in the southeast corner of the stadium. Tranquillo Barnetta delivered a corner kick from just below the traveling support, Pontius heading back across goal for Marquez to tuck into as the Revs stood by helplessly.

Davies entered in the 83rd minute to a standing ovation from the remaining fans and contributed to the final tally, working a lovely give-and-go at the top of the box with Alberg, another second-half substitute, freeing the Dutch import for his eighth goal of season. By that time, however, the stands were nearly empty.
Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved