Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


August 20, 2016
Revs fall 2-0 to Columbus

Andrew Farrell's goal line clearance robbed Columbus Crew SC of a third goal Saturday night at Gillette Stadium.
Andrew Farrell's goal line clearance robbed Columbus Crew SC of a third goal Saturday night at Gillette Stadium.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
FOXBOROUGH, Mass.---Early goals in either half sealed the New England Revolution's fate as they lost their fourth straight game, 2-0 to the Columbus Crew SC at Gillette Stadium Saturday night at Gillette Stadium.

The Revolution have not won since July 9th, and fall to 6-11-8, 26 points as their playoff chances fade. With the win, Columbus moved to (4-8-11, 23). The Revs also have not scored in 182 minutes.

Columbus took the lead in the eighth minute. Héctor Jiménez played a ball down the left side for Justin Meram. Meram made a long run down the side before cutting into the area and sending a grass cutting ball across the top of the six yard box where Ethan Finlay was there for the finish.

The Revs came within inches of trailing 2-0 in the 40th minute, but for a save by Brad Knighton, followed by a goal line clearance by Andrew Farrell. Knighton dove to stop a left footed shot by Mohammed Saeid. The ball fell to Finlay in six yard box but Farrell was there to clear his shot off the line.

The Revs' best chance of the half came in the sixth minute, off a corner kick by Chris Tierney. Kei Kamara met the ball with a header at the far post, sending it across the mouth of the goal, where Jose Goncalves met it with his head, sending it over the bar.

Columbus finally did double their lead, scoring in the 49th minute after a poor clearance by London Woodberry. Ola Kamara quickly pounced on the ball, and sent a centering pass to a charging Federico Higuaín who slammed the ball into the center of the net.

The Rev still had some life in them, and in the 50th minute, a shot by Tierney was tipped over the net by Crew goalkeeper Steve Clark.

Diego Fagundez, who entered the game in the 56th minute, came close to scoring on his bobble head night, but his 60th minute shot was right at the Crew 'keeper.

Kei Kamara turned on a ball in the 18 yard box in the 70th minute, but sent his shot high and wide.

The Crew had a goal line clearance of their own in the 74th minute. Tierney made a run down the left side and sent a cross into the area for Kamara. Kamara sent a downward header into the goal mouth and Michael Parkhurst ran into the goal and swung his lift foot out to clear the ball.

Juan Agudelo volleyed an 18-yard shot over the bar in the 80th minute., which pretty much summed up the game for the Revs. Chances but little else.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved