Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


March 29, 2016
U.S. pounds Guatemala 4-0

By Charles Cuttone
Executive Editor

Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore celebrate after Altidore scored the capper in the USA's 4-0 win over Guatemala on Tuesday.
Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore celebrate after Altidore scored the capper in the USA's 4-0 win over Guatemala on Tuesday.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
COLUMBUS, Ohio—The United States kept its World Cup qualifying hopes alive with a convincing 4-0 win over Guatemala at MAPFRE Stadium on Tuesday night.

While a loss would not have eliminated the U.S. outright, it would have made booking a trip to Russia a tough task. The win gives the U.S. seven points in the qualifying group, one ahead of Guatemala, with two games remaining, against Trinidad and Tobago at home and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines away. The Americans trail T&T in the group by three points, following the Reggae Boys' 6-0 win over St. Vincent and the Grenadines on Tuesday.

Perhaps the first indication that that outcome of the game would be different than Friday night's 2-0 loss to Los Chapines in Guatemala City, came in the 12th minute. A ball over the defense was redirected by Gyasi Zardes, despite his being double teamed by a pair of Guatemalan defenders. The ball fell right in the path of Clint Dempsey who was making a trailing run, and he slammed it past Guatemala goalkeeper Paulo Motta.

The goal was the 14th lifetime in World Cup qualifying for Dempsey, but more importantly, it set the tone for the U.S., who gave up two goals in the first 17 minutes of Friday’s loss.

The U.S. did a much better job of possessing the ball and creating a focused attack than they did on Friday, and it paid off again in the 33rd minute. This time, after winning a free kick on the left side, it was Geoff Cameron scoring, nodding in a header off Michael Bradley’s service.

Cameron’s goal set off chants of "Dos-A-Cero" in part of MAPFRE Stadium, but this was not a game against Mexico, and the U.S. who were clearly embarrassed by the previous result, were not content to settle for just two goals.

It took the Americans less than 60 seconds into the second half to make it Tres-A-Cero. Zardes put a ball into the area, and Graham Zusi, who was a late addition to the U.S. roster, put the ball to the far post.

After a goal by Ethan Finlay was called back in the 86th minute for offside, the U.S. made it 4-0 when Altidore slammed home a that was poked away from Dempsey in the 89th minute.

Maybe it was the thought of not qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, or maybe it was the increasingly loud calls for the head of head coach Jurgen Klinsmann, but the U.S. controlled Tuesday's game throughout and created numerous scoring chances.

Klinsmann, who was criticized for lineup choices last Friday, seemed to make the right calls Tuesday, and used his three subs to give the U.S. some fresh legs, sending in Altidore in the 66th, Finlay in the 77th and using his last sub in the 80th minute to cap-tie Christian Pulisic.

The U.S. gets a break from World Cup qualifying until September, but will play a pair of warm-up matches prior to this summer’s Copa America Centenario.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved