June 22, 2010
WIN AND WE’RE IN
U.S. has fate in hands Wednesday
While there are a number of scenarios for the United States to advance to the knockout phase of the World Cup, the simplest for the Americans is win and you’re in.
They face an Algerian team still with everything to play for following their 0-0 draw with England, the Desert Foxes knowing that a victory could still be enough to see them through. Kickoff at Loftus Versfeld Stadium is set for 4 p.m. local time (10 a.m. ET), and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN and Univision, with radio coverage on ESPN Radio and Futbol de Primera. Fans can also follow along on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker and twitter.com/ussoccer.
Here is a quick breakdown on the USA’s scenarios for advancing:
The U.S. advances with:
• A U.S. win
• A U.S. tie and England loss
• A Tie and England-Slovenia tie, and the U.S. maintains its +2 goals scored advantage (USA 3 GF, England 1 GF)
The U.S. advances and wins group with:
• A Win by a greater goal difference than England wins by
• A Win and England win by same goal differential while the U.S. maintains its +2 goals scored advantage
• A Win by two or more goals and England / Slovenia tie
• A Win by one goal and England / Slovenia tie while scoring more goals than Slovenia
The U.S. is eliminated with:
• A U.S. tie and England win.
• A U.S. Loss