Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News

U.S. MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM

March 21, 2011
SIDELINED SIX MONTHS
Holden (knee injury) accepts Evans apology


A knee injury has shelved U.S. midfielder Stuart Holden for six months.
A knee injury has shelved U.S. midfielder Stuart Holden for six months.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
U.S. international midfielder Stuart Holden will miss six months with a knee injury he suffered in Bolton's 1-0 loss to Manchester United in the English Premier League on Saturday.

That means the 25-year-old Holden will miss the CONCACAF Gold Cup in June. He is expected to return in September.

Holden was injured on a harsh tackle by United's Jonathan Evans, who earned a straight red card from referee Andre Mariner for his infraction.

"First and foremost our main concern is Stuart and his recovery," Bolton manager Owen Coyle was quoted on the team's website. "He will get all the time and support he needs. Stuart has been outstanding this season and has shown he is one of the best midfielders in the Barclays Premier League.

"He has such desire, strength of character and a winning mentality and he will draw on those attributes in his rehabilitation."

On his twitter account Holden said that Evans telephoned him on Monday to apologize for the incident.

"Just had a sincere phone call from Jonny Evans wishing me the best in my recovery, def wasn't intentional, just unfortunate part of the game," Holden said on twitter.

The former Houston Dynamo standout missed two months last year due to a broken leg suffered in a 2-1 U.S. loss at the Netherlands in an international friendly.
   
Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved