Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


June 25, 2014
Fire, Revs advance to quarterfinals

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. – In an overtime thriller the Chicago Fire pulled off a 4-2 win over the Columbus Crew in U.S. Open Cup action. Quincy Amarikwa and Juan Luis Anangono scored in overtime, breaking the 2-2 deadlock and giving the Fire the win.

Patrick Ianni started the scoring heading home a Harrison Shipp pass in the 34th minute.

But early in the second half, the Crew took control. Jairo Arrieta proved to be the spark the Crew was looking for, knocking in a bicycle kick, tying the match at 1-1 in the 55th minute. And 15 minutes later, Bernardo Anor made it 2-1. Ben Speas launched an attempt at goal. The ball deflected and fell to the feet of Anor, who slipped it to the left of Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson.

Anangono entered the match in the 77th minute, replacing Mike Magee. Five minutes later, he evened the score at 2-2.

In overtime, Amarikwa headed the ball past Crew goalkeeper Steve Clark in the 92nd minute for the 3-2 lead. Five minutes later Michael Parkhurst was shown a red card after a wild kick at Amarikwa.

With a one-man advantage, the Fire continued to attack. Anangono sealed the deal for Chicago in the 108th minute. Alex crossed the ball to Anangono, who sent a left-footed shot into the net, putting the home team up 4-2. The Fire stood strong for the remainder of the match, earning the win.

The Fire will face the Atlanta Silverbacks, in the Open Cup quarterfinals, date and time to be announced.
Full story from ChicagoLand Soccer News

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Saer Sene and Kelyn Rowe scored first-half goals to lead the New England Revolution to a 2-1 win over the Rochester Rhinos Wednesday night at Brown University’s Stevenson Field in the teams’ fifth-round match in the 2014 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

The win sent the Revs on to the quarterfinals, where they’ll travel to face the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park on Tuesday, July 8.

Sene got the Revolution on the board in the 11th minute when he beat Rhinos goalkeeper John McCarthy with a low shot across and inside the far post. Lee Nguyen found the Frenchman streaking in on the left side to start the play.

Rowe recorded his sixth-career Open Cup goal in the 33rd minute. Nguyen found Rowe in front of the goal alone with McCarthy, but Rowe’s hard shot was saved. However, McCarthy left the rebound sitting and Rowe powered it home from two yards out for the 2-0 score.

Rochester pulled one back in the 55th minute, pushing the score to 2-1. Johnny Mendoza volleyed the ball off the end line and sent it back toward the penalty spot. Colin Rolfe made a run into the area and placed a diving header in the top corner.
Full story from New England Soccer News

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved