Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


September 16, 2014
Sounders win Open Cup over Union in extratime

By Kate Harman
Philly Soccer News Contributor

Clint Dempsey and Seattle Sounders FC won the US Open Cup 3-1 over Philadelphia Tuesday night at PPL Park.
Clint Dempsey and Seattle Sounders FC won the US Open Cup 3-1 over Philadelphia Tuesday night at PPL Park.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
CHESTER, Pa.-- A Clint Dempsey goal in the first overtime period was the edge the Seattle Sounders needed over the Philadelphia Union Tuesday night, as the visitors came from behind to win the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup championship, 3-1.

It is the fourth time the Sounders have captured the title. It was also the fourth time the Union played extra time in an Open Cup match this tournament.

The deciding goal occurred in the 101st minute and was the result of some nice work between Dempsey and Marco Pappa. Obafemi Martins made a nice individual effort around a tired Union defense to get the ball to Dempsey far post, who buried the shot.

The goal deflated the Union, who played impassioned soccer throughout the match, full of energy and grit.

Like most of the match, the first half was fast-paced, full of action on both sides, and loud, as PPL Park was rocking from the opening kick.

The Union drew first blood, in the 38th minute. Cristian Maidana was taken down and awarded a free kick from about 27 yards out. He sent a beautiful hanging ball into the box and all Maurice Edu had to do was get a piece of it.

The midfielder did more than that, sending a hard hit header into the back of the net and giving Philadelphia a 1-0 lead.

PPL Park exploded, with fireworks and pandemonium. The game seemed to be in the Union’s hands.

In the 48th minute, however, Seattle found the equalizer off a corner kick. The service bounced off several players in the box, hitting a few heads, and another foot, but was unable to be cleared. It was Chad Barrett who finally found the back of the net for the Sounders, heading the ball in right on the doorstep of the goal.

After the goal, the Sounders continued to control possession and dictated much of the play, as Philadelphia’s defense had trouble clearing the ball.

And then Martins replaced Barrett in the 60th minute to do what he does best: wreak havoc on the opposing defense.

That’s exactly what he did.

The chances continued for both sides. Maidana had what looked like a great chance in the 73rd as he flew onto the ball for a breakaway, but DeAndre Yedlin demonstrated just how quick he really is, recovering about 25 yards to catch up and break up the play.

Dempsey got another chance for the Sounders following Yedlin’s big defensive effort, as he slid far post but his shot flew wide.

Martins sealed the game in the 114th minute, when he beat Ray Gaddis and got a shot by a streaking MacMath.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved